FB SUB JAVA

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

MONKEY RIDES DOG

{An article wherein the author wastes time on the internet so you don't have to ~ and ~ as far as he can tell, no animals were harmed}

I was considering writing a blog post about the fiscal cliff and trying to make sense of who's still the asshole in that situation, because I know someone is. It's the government.

Or warrantless wiretapping, one of the leftovers from the second Bush administration's executive power grab, which has been extended by majorities in both Congress and the Senate and was signed this past Sunday by Pres. Obama, because that shit is bullshit but then...

I came across the above photo this morning on Reddit and couldn't stop thinking about it.

It really doesn't take any extra effort to make this photo worthy of posting everywhere. And yet...

I had to go deeper.

Firstly, I can't get this song out of my head when I look at it:



Maybe that's just me. (Make sure you look closely at the expression on that monkey's face while you play it.)

I wanted to know more about this photo, one reason being, that while I'm a little worried about that goat's future, I really wanted to make sure that dog and that monkey are having fun.

My efforts began with a Google search. I went with the phrase "monkey rides dog". Here's a screenshot of the wondrous Google image search results:



Which you might want to go check out on your own here.

This led me to to the official site of what I assume to be the same monkey as in the original photo: Whiplash The Cowboy Monkey. 

He is, according to the site, "the most recognized name in professional rodeo". I have no reason to doubt this. It is certainly true on my end.

A quote from the site, and relevant to my initial concerns; "It’s a fun thing for the gallant rider.  If you watch closely, you can easily see the smile on his face."

Phew. That's a load off my mind because that monkey looks like a super awesome badass to me.

Case closed? Of course not.

I then watched a bunch more videos of monkey dog cowboys and while I wouldn't say these monkeys seem to be enjoying themselves all that much, they seem to understand that there are treats coming their way after they hang on to a Border Collie as it whips around at high speeds.

Ohhh heyyy I get it, hence the name "Whiplash". Hm. I don't know how I feel about that.

Well, the dogs definitely seem totally fine with it so that's something.

Poking around some more I found Whiplash's main competition Team Ghost Riders. The desktop version of their site is pretty much amazing. (No offense guys, the mobile version just lacks the same impact.)

But after all it's just impossible to beat Whiplash's commercial for local taco concern Taco John's:



Crushed it.

Though there is also a Whiplash video tribute set to a Creed song, about which the two best  comments in the history of the internet were exchanged:


Uploader Comments (Jonah11494)

  • vhf4918
    to whom ever made this video...you made a tribute video to a monkey that rides dogs. i am all for that, a monkey riding a dog is awesome. however, you set the background music to creed... why why why i bet you like kid rock too
     · 64 
  • Jonah11494
    It was actually Cowboy by Kid Rock but had to change it due to copyright issues
     · 49  in reply to vhf4918


Wow, that's good internet.

Anyway...

Maybe what I'm trying to say is America + Internet = MONKEY RIDES DOG?

Though I guess America + America got us there all on its own. I don't know. I'm not a math guy.

And I forgot what I was writing about LOOK AT THAT MONKEY GO!

No comments: